Billy Moyer has tonight achieved another career first, this time winning a feature race on Australian soil, the 836th of his illustrious career, at the Perth Motorplex for night one of the Di Candilo Steel City Late Model Nationals.
Moyer was all class throughout the event, the first of two nights of action for the Nationals and doubling as the first of four nights for the Di Candilo Steel City USA vs WA Invasion Tour, but was matched by fellow countryman Joe Godsey who set a new Track Record in qualifying, came second in his opening heat and then came flying through the field to win his second heat and set up a pole position start for the thirty lap feature.
By comparison, Moyer was second in qualifying (also going under the old one lap record), won his opening heat and then came fourth in his other to start from position three: local Brent Vosbergen having the best night of his career so far to grab the outside pole starting position after being third in qualifying, then winning a heat and coming second in the other.
As the feature race went green, Godsey got the initial jump but Moyer came from nowhere and snuck through on the inside to grab the lead with Vosbergen slotting into second and Godsey dropping back through the pack.
It all amounted to naught though as second night rookie Aydan Trewern spun and a pile of cars including Cameron Pearson, Chris Pavlovich, Veronica McCann and Warren Oldfield all piled in.
The incident eliminated four of the cars, Oldfield the only one able to restart.
On the second attempt at the start Godsey again got the jump as Moyer attempted to do the same as the first time, but was unable to make it stick and this time it was Vosbergen dropping back through the pack.
Moyer then moved to the highline immediately, and grabbed the lead from Godsey as Michael Holmes then began to make his presence felt, looking for a way past Godsey on the inside for second.
As Moyer began to pull away, Godsey, Holmes, Tyler Erb and Marc Giancola began to battle it out in close quarters for third. Behind them Paul Stubber was attempting to pick his way through the field but ended up going straight into the turn four wall to bring out the caution lights with four laps completed.
Moyer would lead the field away with Godsey and Holmes in hot pursuit. Giancola would hold off Erb for fourth place but Ryan Halliday and Kye Blight were quickly on the scene as they too looked for a way through. Again the race would only get three laps in, this time as McNab found himself finding himself facing backwards on the back straight to bring on the cautions.
It was during this time that Marc Giancola would also head infield while running fourth.
As the race went green again, Moyer raced away with Godsey in hot pursuit as Holmes began to feel the pressure from Halliday and Erb. At this time cars also began to head infield quickly, with firstly Joe Chalmers, then Jamie Moon, Jai Mazzini and Warren Oldfield all retiring within a few laps.
Back on track and as the laps wound down, the top three began to pull away and the rest of the field spread out, seeing Moyer get into lapped traffic on lap fifteen.
With ten to go Moyer had nearly a 2.5 second lead, working his way through lapped traffic as Godsey and Holmes dropped further back, Erb and Halliday still fighting it out for fourth place.
With two to go Moyer lapped seventh placed Jeff Roth, and had a lead of nearly eight seconds, then went on to cross the line in first place, some 8.696 seconds ahead of second placed Godsey, with Holmes in third. Halliday got past Erb for fourth with Kye Blight in sixth place the only other car on the lead lap.
Earlier in the night saw Joe Godsey fastest in qualifying, with the old one lap qualifying track record being lowered twice, and the top three cars all going under the old mark.
Heat racing saw Erb, Moyer and Vosbergen all claim wins in the first round of heats while in the second round Erb claimed his second win, while Trewern claimed heat five in what was just his fourth ever Late Model race with Brent Vosbergen coming from last to second, while the final heat went to Joe Godsey after he stormed through the field from the very back.
Courtesy of tonight’s results, Godsey is the overnight point’s leader for the Di Candilo Steel City Late Model Nationals. He is just four points ahead of Moyer, while Tyler Erb rounds out an all American top three.
The Late Models now have a couple of days to refresh and repair before they hit the track again on Saturday night for the second and final night of the Di Candilo Steel City Late Model Nationals. Heat Grids will be based on the overall points thus far and will be released tomorrow, with Saturday night’s format seeing two more rounds of heats before the all-important forty lap final!
The Sims Metal Management Late Model Pro Dirt Series and Di Candilo Steel City Invasion Tour, proudly bought to you by Global XLI, Boyes Mechanical, Cardy Racing Components, Dirt Track Nutters, Pancho’s Mexican Restaurants, APM Roofing, CTM Recruitment, RACIN, Collie Machine Shop, Grays Online, Mac Track, Rockingham Towing, Baldivis Pharmacy, Mezzstor, Palice Property Group, Michael Holmes Racing, West Coast Big Bike Hire, Our Car Autos, Homes by Roth, Dirt on Dirt, QB Metal Recyclers and Bulk Metal Recycling.
Pancho’s Pole Position – Joe Godsey
DTN Hard Charger – Jay Cardy
Roth Homes All Star – Brent Vosbergen
Roth Homes Winners – Joe chalmers, Chris Pavlovich
Release by DTN Media.
Pictures Courtesy Mel Parker.
Qualifying, 2 laps:
1. Joe Godsey 15.693 RECORD, 2. Billy Moyer 15.794, 3. Brent Vosbergen 15.840, 4. Ryan Halliday 15.869, 5. Marc Giancola 15.997, 6. Michael Holmes 16.015, 7. Brad Blake 16.017, 8. Kye Blight 16.079, 9. Jeff Roth 16.197, 10. Tyler Erb 16.199, 11. Jay Cardy 16.411, 12. Paul Stubber 16.436, 13. Chris Pavlovich 16.442, 14. Simon McNab 16.556, 15. Cameron Pearson 16.647, 16. Jamie Moon 16.804, 17. Veronica McCann 16.825, 18. Freddy Kinsella 16.857, 19. Mick Comley 16.873, 20. Joe Chalmers 16.914, 21. Jai Mazzini 17.105, 22. Warren Oldfield 17.107, 23. Aydan Trewern 17.154, 24. Jamie Oldfield 17.173, 25. Jayden Meckenstock 17.460, 26. Ken Macpherson 17.700, 27. Willy Powell 18.275, 28. Nuno Mendes NTT.
Heat One, 8 laps:
1. Tyler Erb, 2. Joe Godsey, 3. Brad Blake, 4. Ryan Halliday, 5. Mick Comley, 6. Chris Pavlovich, 7. Warren Oldfield, 8. Jayden Meckenstock. DNF: Jamie Moon (1). DNS: Nuno Mendes. Total Time: 2.11.694. Winning Margin: 1.619. Fastest Lap: 15.977 Tyler Erb.
Heat Two, 8 laps:
1. Billy Moyer, 2. Simon McNab, 3. Marc Giancola, 4. Kye Blight, 5. Aydan Trewern, 6. Joe Chalmers, 7. Veronica McCann. DNF: Jay Cardy (5), Ken Macpherson (1). Total Time: No Time. Winning Margin: 3.335. Fastest Lap: 15.693 Billy Moyer.
Heat Three, 8 laps:
1. Brent Vosbergen, 2. Michael Holmes, 3. Paul Stubber, 4. Jamie Oldfield, 5. Jeff Roth, 6. Cameron Pearson, 7. Jai Mazzini, 8. Willy Powell. DNF: Freddy Kinsella (6). Total Time: 2.13.509. Winning Margin: 1.021. Fastest Lap: 16.334 Paul Stubber.
Heat Four, 8 laps:
1. Tyler Erb, 2. Warren Oldfield, 3. Joe Chalmers, 4. Billy Moyer, 5. Ryan Halliday, 6. Kye Blight, 7. Jamie Moon, 8. Ken Macpherson, 9. Simon McNab. DNS: Nuno Mendes. Total Time: 2.13.661. Winning Margin: 3.087. Fastest Lap: 16.371 Tyler Erb.
Heat Five, 8 laps:
1. Aydan Trewern, 2. Brent Vosbergen, 3. Veronica McCann, 4. Cameron Pearson, 5. Marc Giancola, 6. Willy Powell, 7. Jeff Roth, 8. Jay Cardy, 9. Jai Mazzini. Total Time: 2.15.576. Winning Margin: 3.522. Fastest Lap: 16.653 Aydan Trewern.
Heat Six, 8 laps:
1. Joe Godsey, 2. Jamie Oldfield, 3. Michael Holmes, 4. Brad Blake, 5. Paul Stubber, 6. Mick Comley, 7. Chris Pavlovich, 8. Freddy Kinsella, 9. Jayden Meckenstock. Total Time: No Time. Winning Margin: 1.144. Fastest Lap: 16.127 Michael Holmes.
B Main, 8 laps:
1. Jay Cardy, 2. Jai Mazzini, 3. Jamie Moon, 4. Ken Macpherson, 5. Freddy Kinsella, 6. Willy Powell, 7. Jayden Meckenstock. DNS: Nuno Mendes. Total Time: 2.14.335. Winning Margin: 3.334. Fastest Lap: 16.395 Jay Cardy.
Feature, 30 laps:
1. Billy Moyer, 2. Joe Godsey, 3. Michael Holmes, 4. Ryan Halliday, 5. Tyler Erb, 6. Kye Blight, 7. Jeff Roth (29), 8. Brad Blake (29), 9. Jamie Oldfield (29), 10. Brent Vosbergen (29), 11. Jay Cardy (29), 12. Mick Comley (29). DNF: Warren Oldfield (15), Jai Mazzini (12), Jamie Moon (10), Joe Chalmers (8), Marc Giancola (7), Simon McNab (7), Ken Macpherson (7), Paul Stubber (4), Cameron Pearson (0), Chris Pavlovich (0), Veronica McCann (0), Aydan Trewern (0). Total Time: No Time. Winning Margin: 8.696. Fastest Lap: 15.719 Joe Godsey.
Di Candilo Steel City Late Model Nationals Points After Night One
- USA14G Joe Godsey 136
- USA21 Billy Moyer 132
- USA91 Tyler Erb 127
- 4 Brent Vosbergen 126
- 91 Michael Holmes 125
- 99 Ryan Halliday 118
- 0 Brad Blake 115