Western Australia’s biggest drag racing event is coming up this weekend at Perth Motorplex and there are plenty of reasons that it remains a must-see for any motorsport fan!
We’ve narrowed down the list – but suffice to say we expect the place to be packed, so make sure you get your tickets online at motorplex.com.au and get ready for two days of drag racing awesomeness. Let’s begin:
- The return of Top Fuel – It goes without saying that Victoria’s Phil Lamattina and New South Wales’ Peter Xiberras are the headline act for the 49th running of the Westernationals. If you haven’t witnesses Top Fuel live before there is no better opportunity, as two of the country’s leading teams come in ready to blast down Perth Motorplex at over 500kmh. The ground-shaking power is something you just have to see in person.
- Eleven Top Doorslammers – WA’s Summer Slam Series is going from strength to strength right now and never will that have been better showcased than at the Westernationals this weekend as almost a dozen cars go head to head over both nights. Will John Zappia set the Australian record after going within a few thousandths of a second in January, or will his arch rival Daniel Gregorini spoil the party? Be there and find out!
- Nine Top Bikes – Western Australia has always had a strong range of motorcycles but to have a fully local field of nine bikes is something incredible. From Jay Upton’s mean streamlined missile seeking the first five second run on two wheels in Australia, to the world’s quickest amputee Benny Stevens, it’s action aplenty.
- Three Top Alcohol Dragsters – Fans of fast dragsters will have plenty of places to look including a match race between Nigel Johnson, Adam Marchant and James Kemp, who will be throwing down mid five second runs across the weekend.
- 28 interstate entries – The Westernationals has almost meant seeing new and unusual vehicles from across the country and this edition is no different. There’s Chris Berias’ sweetly-singing C/Altered Automatic hoping to disrupt Competition, Darren Saliba’s stunning Camaro in Top Sportsman, Adam Mundy’s gorgeous Modified dragster and plenty more int the pits!
- Six second fight – We reported earlier in the week that the fight for the first Pro Stock Motorcycle six second run at Perth Motorplex is on in earnest, so we had to make that reason six! See Ryan Learmonth and Victoria’s Glenn Wooster shooting for new track records.
- Perfect weather for records – Speaking of records, conditions are looking great to set some new performance benchmarks. The storms have left and it is time for two clear days of superb runs.
- National points – If you wonder why everyone tries that little bit harder at the Westernationals, national points in the Summit Sportsman Series might have something to do with it. A good performance at the Westernationals will give racers points that they can put towards a national championship.
- Gold Christmas trees – The famous ANDRA gold Christmas tree trophies will be on offer at the Westernationals. These iconic replications of the drag racing starting lights are something every racer strives for!
- 10,000 horsepower – We’re going to finish by reiterating just how cool Top Fuel is. You might think 10,000 horsepower is the whole pit area – nope! That’s just one Top Fuel dragster! It is power you can literally feel in your chest as the cars leave the start line. There is nothing like Top Fuel, and there is nothing like the Westernationals at Perth Motorplex – be there!